Summerholiday Iceland 2010

• Spectacular Island - Summer holiday Iceland july-august 2010

So this year I made it to Iceland - finally.

It has been a dream for several years now to visit Iceland, and tour the wast desolated central highland with my 4x4 Touareg.

The waiting were worth every minute - Iceland is a breathtaking experience, so many different landscapes in one island. We, my son Emil and I, drove plus 4.000 km. in 14 days. The daylight lasted for nearly 20 hours, so there were plenty of time every day to explore and soak op the amazing mountains, valleys, the plains, the fire, the ice.

In our quest for adventure we sought for the smallest and lees travelled mountain roads and tracks, and were very successful, - as a result we could drive for hours and hours and meet nobody. This was off course a matter to some concern, since if we had a mechanical breakdown there would be no help around, and naturally there were no mobile phone coverage in the desolate highlands. In order to be at least a little prepared I had brought a rucksack and some food, so we would be able to walk out and get help.
    Luck were on our side, and there were no mechanical problems at all, just a slow leakage on one tire witch we could pump every morning.

I’ll get back soon with more details and photos. (why don´t the [img] tag work??)

• Hello quattro.

Nice to have you here among all the other Touareg enthusiasts. Many of us can easily understand your emotions as we had two groups of Touareg-Freunde exploring Iceland by Touareg last year, too.

We would be glad if you should join our forum once in a while even though it is mainly a German forum L.

Best regards from northern Germany

Jan

• Hi,

[...](why don´t the [img] tag work??)

that's because in this part of the forum the IMG-tag is not allowed. Please do not ask me why, but that's the reason. :o

I also hope that you will join this site here more often...:top:

Grüße,

Uli

Was kann ich tun um Antworten erfolgreich zu unterbinden?
    Nachdem ich die Suche erfolgreich ignoriert habe, erstelle ich das gleiche Thema in mehreren Unterforen, benutze einen aussagekräftigen Titel wie "Hilfe", am Besten noch mit mehreren Ausrufezeichen, und veröffentliche einen Fließtext aus Kleinbuchstaben ohne Punkt und Komma, damit auch der letzte hilfsbereite Nutzer resigniert.

• Hi,

[...]Regarding pictures I noticed that in other post in this area of the forum other members have made a "Miniaturansicht angehängter Grafiken" - how is this done? - thank you[...]

that is done in this way: click

If you have any problems with understanding just post it here...:top:

Grüße,

Uli

Was kann ich tun um Antworten erfolgreich zu unterbinden?
    Nachdem ich die Suche erfolgreich ignoriert habe, erstelle ich das gleiche Thema in mehreren Unterforen, benutze einen aussagekräftigen Titel wie "Hilfe", am Besten noch mit mehreren Ausrufezeichen, und veröffentliche einen Fließtext aus Kleinbuchstaben ohne Punkt und Komma, damit auch der letzte hilfsbereite Nutzer resigniert.

• Hello quattro.

I am looking forward for further photos of your Iceland trip. Additionally I would like to ask how you brought your Touareg to Iceland. Did you ship the car in a container or did you join your cars journey by ferry?

I am very interested about your trip as I plan to visit Iceland ASAP again myself :)

Besides in which part of Denmark do you live? Have you ever considered to join one of our meetings here in Germany?

On the other hand we (some Touareg Friends and I) have some plans to make a tour through Scandinavia and the help of locals would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards from northern Germany

Jan

• Hi Jan,

I´ll be back soon with more information, and a day by day log of the trip...

As posted I went to Iceland by my self in one car only... And I would love to go back to Iceland soon with one more car for security, I have some unfinished tracks to drive :) I were lucky, this year the amount of rain has been below normal in Iceland, so we were able to ford al the rivers on the mountain roads and jeep-traks we drove. Only one time a local recommended us to take a detour, but I think the person were not aware of the 58 cm. wade capability of the T-reg :)

I brought the T-reg with the Ferry from Hantsholm (DK) to Seydisfjördur (IS) (http://www.smyrilline.com/Frontpage.aspx). The cost for the car is around 1.000 EURO - 2 way trip -, I rented a 2 person cabin with a window for some luxury, additional 1.000 EURO. The trip from DK to IS takes two days, so bring books, maps and a computer to kill time :)

Yes I´m certainly considering joying one of your meetings in the future, and also a maybe trip. I live in Helsingør (Elsinore) near the ferry to Sweden, and I would by happy to assist in any way if I can.

For now I´m planing to visit Val D´isere next year, and also Iceland again maybe, on a 2011 trip I would make a little trekking also I think, and stay more in the centre highland.

Kind Regards
    Peter

• Hello Peter.

Thanks for your quick reply, your kind offer for assistance and for posting further photos (very nice indeed). It is a real shame that you have joined us that late as we just returned from Val D´isere and the western Alps a few days ago :eek:

From our point of view Val D´isere was a little bit disappointing as it is just a large offroad-park on higher altitude. But the tour on top of the Alps was marvellous, as you can see here: https://www.touareg-freunde.de/showthread.php?t=13503

Personally I have the feeling that somebody who has been to Iceland before will easily be disappointed of most of the legal offroad locations in Western Europe.....

Anyway, I am planning to visit Iceland again, to travel with my own car through the U.S.A. (i.e. Colorado and Utah including Moab :D), to visit Canada and - much closer - to have a nice journey through Scandinavia (DK, SE, NO).

Besides, do you know that we will have our annual meeting next month in Eastern Germany near by Dresden? You are very welcome to join us. Please see: https://www.touareg-freunde.de/showthread.php?t=13059

Kind regards

Jan