• The vast majority here in the forum prefers the V6 TDI but you have to remember that gas is expensive in Germany, Diesel is cheaper and you get more mileage out of the TDI. So the more you drive, the cheaper the TDI gets over the FSI (although ...cheaper is relative…)

Anyway, while the TDI is certainly more refined than a Diesel 20 years ago, it will not run as smooth as a petrol engine but with the high torque at lower revs, you can compensate by just not running it as “hard” as you would a petrol engine.

The TDI and FSI are 2 completely different engines with 2 completely different characteristics. While I now drive a V8 which is a powerful and very refined engine, I would go for a V6 TDI in a heartbeat since I really like the low end torque of a TDI.

Regards

Frank

• ........I would go for a V6 TDI in a heartbeat since I really like the low end torque of a TDI.....

Agreed - and quite frankly there's nothing more to add. Local decision criteria such as road tax, gasoline/diesel cost difference etc. can only be compared by yourself.

Here in Germany, as Frank already mentioned, the majority of users opt for a TDI.

Good luck and let us know of any development!

PS: Please register on our user-map - LAC region is empty so far! see MITGLIEDERKARTE on main page.
    PPS: Do they also sell the R5 and V10Tdi in Haiti??

:winken:

• To understand correctly,

If gas and diesel prices were the same, then you would opt of the petrol version instead of the v6 tdi. If you were to explain the v6 tdi, how would you recomend it?

Where I live, there is a 50% difference between petrol prices and Diesel, and the v6 tdi, is very new. other than the touareg that is coming with a v6 tdi, the only other cars sold her with that size of an engine are the ml320cdi, jeep, and the landcruiser. all other turbo diesels are I4 intercooler.

I have read alto of reviews regarding the engine, and from what I gathered, the v6 tdi and the ml320cdi have the better ones. as far as milage is concerned, for my I do about 9000 miles per year and mostly up and down hill, so I also agree that the low end torque would be good for me. The only time that you would go fast is cross cuntry. When calculating the difference in price and consumption of petrol vs diesel, after 5 years its between 25 to 30 % the cost of the SUV.

I curently drive a Misubishi montero 3.2 Di-d and its excelent with a few flaws. My biggest one are cabin noise and engine noise. The motor is too loud in the cabin. As far as I am concerned. its not interesting. This is why I am leaning towardes the v6 tdi touareg. I hope I am making the right choice.

Thank you for your Objective opinions.

• If gas and diesel prices were the same, then you would opt of the petrol version instead of the v6 tdi. If you were to explain the v6 tdi, how would you recomend it?

The gas consumption on TDI is still much better than any gasoline car?!

....50% difference between petrol prices and Diesel.....

50% more or less???

....the v6 tdi and the ml320cdi have the better ones....

Opinion seconded.

...The motor is too loud in the cabin...

The V6TDI isnt too loud. Of course, in comparison with any gasoline engine - its noisy, but for a turbo charged Diesel engine - I think its fair. In any case noise level is much lower than with my R5.

....your Objective opinions...

OK - forget the ML Mercedes??, Jeep great offroading & lousy quality................Montero - a car that is named PAJERO in several other non-spanish speaking countries :zwinker: NEVER!

There you have it - objective opinion: VW Touareg!!!!!!!

• Here are my 2ct:

- so far you didn't mention if you often want to offroad; or if you have to pull a trailer, ..... These factors will highly influence the consumption.

- in all your considerations don't forget the quantity of service-partners at your location. There's not really much you're able to DIY on the T.

- the V6TDI is definitely not noisy inside. Even with low sound level from your CD's. Outside - of course - you have more sound than with a gasoline engine. But what ... If you REALLY want good sound take a Jeep V8! ......and a good serviceshop:zwinker:

- so far I didn't test-drive the V6 FSi, but the power of 500 NM torque ot the TDI is really mighty. In any situation.

For more sentiments you also might check this site.

Of course if any other ??? come up - don't hesitate to ask.

• Ok,

diesel is 50% cheaper,

Road quality is not that great. We have lots of broken roads, pot holes. and many time the traffic is so bad that we end up going through gravel roads and muddy roads completely unpaved.

As far as dealer and service, Its not a great deal of a problem because they are reliable. Cost of service is another issue. I was also thinking of purchasing a vag-com and a bentley tech service dvd for the touareg, but the dvd does not cover the new model or the v6 tdi yet.

As far as the Jeep, they are I my opinion the Worse car your money can buy. The dealer is also really bad here.

• Hi Boutrosa,

Aren't you answering your own questions right there??

Diesel is cheaper - Good.
    Offroading - Good.
    Quality - Good.
    Workshop - Good.
    Fun - Good.

Touareg - BEST CHOICE!

Hey, don't forget, we are a Touareg-Forum, we have to be biassed?

N'est pas?

:top:

• oh

I do not pull traliers.

Here is a list of my basic needs that must be part of the purchase. And this is why I am leaning towards the touareg or Ml.

1 very comfortable interior, memory seat, good stereo quality leather etc.
    2 Low range. Is a must for me.
    3. fairly large vehicle b/c of wife and kids.
    4. something fun to drive, b/c tired of boring cars.
    5. somewhat economical.
    6. very low cabin noise.
    7. good amount of power for when its needed.
    8. something that if armored, will be able to handle the extra weight 280 - 350 kilo without a problem.
    9 a luxurious ride quality,

• Enzio:

I agree, its just I was wondering, since we do not have the v6 tdi here yet, how to the compare to the petrol, and you guys have been a great help. If you listen to the dealer, he sais that you cannot tell the difference. I found it hard to beleive.

• .....something that if armored, will be able to handle the extra weight 280 - 350 kilo without a problem.....

I was expecting something like that......& was wondering howcome you have the guts to drive around Port-au-Prince in a car like that.

I have some interesting pics @home, will upload later on.

• Hi to Haiti! :winken:

Don't care about any of these numbers. I think, everyone, who drives a Touareg will agree to these, OK, number 5 is relative 'cause of weight :D

Did I understand you in the right way?

You want to use armour-plates with the car? If so, you may be interested in that version: KLICK :D 5,3 tons...may be a little bit too heavy :)

Greetings from Germany.

Grüße,

Uli

Was kann ich tun um Antworten erfolgreich zu unterbinden?
    Nachdem ich die Suche erfolgreich ignoriert habe, erstelle ich das gleiche Thema in mehreren Unterforen, benutze einen aussagekräftigen Titel wie "Hilfe", am Besten noch mit mehreren Ausrufezeichen, und veröffentliche einen Fließtext aus Kleinbuchstaben ohne Punkt und Komma, damit auch der letzte hilfsbereite Nutzer resigniert.

• Hi to Cologne :winken:

[...]I have some interesting pics @home, will upload later on.

...come on...we are waiting for some news...:D

Grüße,

Uli

Nachdem ich die Suche erfolgreich ignoriert habe, erstelle ich das gleiche Thema in mehreren Unterforen, benutze einen aussagekräftigen Titel wie "Hilfe", am Besten noch mit mehreren Ausrufezeichen, und veröffentliche einen Fließtext aus Kleinbuchstaben ohne Punkt und Komma, damit auch der letzte hilfsbereite Nutzer resigniert.

• .....he sais that you cannot tell the difference....

Oh yes, you can..........that Turbo will give you hell - its truly a totally different driving. Look at the pure figures and then think about consumption and cost.

Never forget - life is binary (sort of) :zwinker:

V6TDI:
    225bhp
    500Nm torque
    0-100km 8.9sec
    Vmax 202-209 depending on air ride suspension
    Ave consumption 10,7l / 100km
    Co2 emission: 283g/km

V6FSI:
    280bhmp
    360Nm torque
    0-100km 8.6sec
    Vmax 218-227 depending on air ride suspension
    Ave consumption 13.3l / 100km
    Co2 emission: 317g/km

• Hi!

[...]
    Never forget - life is binary (sort of) :zwinker: [...]

I thought it was a bitch... :denker: :D

Grüße,

Uli

• Hi!

I need one like that. Can I get it directly from VW?:D

Takecare

I think, that will get a bit difficult.
    German army tested a few cars (Hummer, Landrover, Nissan, Toyota, Mercedes and other exotic versions), this was one of them. Only the Mercedes G and one special (exotic) car passed the test. The Touareg was to heavy for the very specific and difficult ground. But I also heard about broken frames in some japanese cars...you see: it was a very hard test...

Of course, the weapon could be a good option for your purposes...:D

Grüße,

Uli

• well here we only need light armoring cen IIIa br4 up to 44 magnum. Anything above that is overkill.

but I would love to see detailed pictures of an armored touareg interior and exterior. The G class galender is an amazing vehicle.

• Hi!

[...]but I would love to see detailed pictures of an armored touareg interior and exterior. The G class galender is an amazing vehicle.

there are some other pictures posted yet.

KLICK (there you see all participating cars)

KLICK (the white thing is snow :-)))

have fun!

Grüße,

Uli